About Us

Chicago, Illinois, United States
Summer of Service and Leadership is a program offered to students of Chicago Public Schools. It allows us to experience and learn more about our community all while having fun. The students that participate aren't just Kelvyn Park High School students. It started off with our Freshman Connection program and branched out to the leaders of schools all over Chicago. As a student, I hope to learn more about my community and about the interesting lives that are taking place around me. Also, Karina would like to learn to open her mind to the community and to learn new things from the interesting people we meet throughout the summer. -Karina and Crystal

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Hunger impacts me because every year millions of kids die worldwide because they don't have anything to eat, yet we take food for granted. I think back and remember how my mom asked me, and sometimes still does, to eat all my vegetables and I refused because I didn't like them. Now I know that there are kids that would rather eat broccoli than throw it away. Another fact I found out recently is that the world actually produces enough food to feed everyone in the world! So why are people still going hungry?!
Well poverty is one of the main causes, that include poor people's lack of resources and unequal income in the world. But I'm sure everyone's heard and seen this unequal income. All you have to do is look around you. While you might be able to afford a car, you neighbor might be rummaging through their couch just to find change for the bus. Next time you turn down food because you don't like it or don't want it anymore think about how many kids would be dying to have at least a taste of it. Don't take what you have for granted...

Miriam

1 comment: